Tuesday, October 7, 2008

RECIPE & Herbs : We had frost last night...

Thank goodness I brought in my herbs.

I decided yesterday to take the last of the herbs in for drying. Amy and I hung them up in the kitchen/classroom window.

The house smells divine and it's really nice to see all these little bundles just hanging around. I've asked hubby to make me a rack for the kitchen ceiling for next year. I'd like to hang my pots from it and it would be perfect to hang the herbs next year.

I think I'll take all the sweet and greek basil and make pesto to freeze for the winter. I love this recipe.

Basil Pesto

1/2 pine nuts, toasted
1 cup packed basil
1 cup packed flat leaf parsley
1- 2 cloves garlic (to your taste)
Ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1/2 tsp lemon juice (if freezing to prevent discolourization)

Add the basil, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper to food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Stream in 1/2 cup EV olive oil and pine nuts, pulse until combined, transfer into a large mixing bowl and stir in the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.

Since I'm going to make a big batch for freezing, I will omit the cheese and just add it in when I'm ready to use it. I find the cheese doesn't take to well to freezing and thawing.

I freeze my pesto in small ziploc bags, pressed flat for easy storage in the freezer. I also make a batch or two in ice cube trays for when I just want a small amount for a recipe or meal.


















No comments: