Friday, October 3, 2008

RECIPE - Perfect Pizza Dough

SORRY, NO PICTURES YET, LIFE IS GETTING IN THE WAY AND WON'T LET ME MAKE PIZZA! SOON, I PROMISE :-)


Our family are big pizza lovers. Number one son is a very plain pepperoni pizza guy while myself and Amy are huge fans of everything goes. Jay on the other hand is somewhere in between as long as there's lots of meat on it :)


After years of buying store bought doughs and never being really happy with them, I decided to try my hand at homemade *gasp* from scratch dough.

Now realize, up until maybe 10 years ago, scratch for me was a boxed cake. I've come a long way since then baby.
Many attempts, mediocre results, and sometimes downright disasters (be very careful when using recipes off the net, and read them very carefully) I finally came up with what I consider TA DA! "The Perfect Pizza Dough" Woot woot! I'd like to share that recipe now with all my friends in blogger land :) Please let me know what you think once you try it. So far the response has been very positive with my friends...one even calls me the "Queen of Pizza" haha!

One note though: I have a Kitchenaid mixer that has a bread kneading hook. My friend who makes this often does not. It works well both ways.

If you have to make it by hand, just follow the instructions and try to enjoy the gooey hands. It might help to have the flour pre-measured in a bowl to save fiddling with flour goo covered hands and measuring scoops.

So here goes...

Vic's Pizza Dough Recipe

Recipe make one really large thick crust pizza or 2 large thin crust pizza's, we personally prefer the thin crust.

1 1/4 cups warm water

1 tbsp honey

1 pkg. yeast or 2 1/4 tsp

3 tbsp olive oil

2 tsp salt

3 cups flour

1. Mix first 4 ingredients and then add 2 cups flour. Mix well.

2. Add 2 tsp salt (never allow salt to touch live yeast or it will kill it) and the last of the flour. Mix on medium speed 6-8 minutes.

3. Let rise till doubled. Punch down and shape onto greased or corn meal covered pizza stones.

4. Put on toppings as desired.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 15 for thin crust and 20-25 iminutes for thick crust.

Watch those thin crusts!

**Check back tomorrow for photos of the process and final product as I will be making this tonight for dinner and will take pictures of the steps**




2 comments:

Terri Steffes said...

Can't wait to see the photos!

I love pizza and I love the smell of baking bread... I have a feeling this is going to be one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to post this email I got from Terri and Bob...

"Vic,
Just wanted to let you know that we have made your pizza crust a couple of times now and it has become a family favorite. The crust is just right! We love the "chew" on it and love how it browns up! Thank you for sharing it with us!"

Wasn't that cool of her to email me and tell me? :)