Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gluten issues or something else? and Guess Who Went Skating?

I have been gluten and sugar free now for 38 days. I have been heartburn free for 38 days and migraine free for 30. My good friend Karen, who has gluten issues, has been concerned that my migraines may be gluten induced. I wasn't so sure. I'm still not 100% sure that they are, but it's been an interesting experiment so far. I have much to research but so far I am leaning towards Karen's assumption.

I have made a decision to remain sugar and gluten free until Christmas Day. That day, I will decide whether or not to partake in the stuffing and gravy that will be served with our turkey dinner. Dessert won't be such a difficult choice though since I am not a huge fan of sweets.

At this point I'm not feeling any desire to break. I'm even making, by hand, homemade bread every other day for Jay and the kids. Last night I made buns with onion, garlic, rosemary and cheddar cheese in them. The smell was incredible and they all were oohing and aahing over the flavour. I on the other hand didn't even feel slightly tempted. Weird but true.

So as of Monday November 3rd, in 28 days I have lost 13.5 lbs just by taking out all gluten, sugar and starches. I will be slowly adding in natural fruit sugars on January 1st. These will consist of berries and melons and the lower sugar fruits. In effect I am on a low carbohydrate, low fat, low sodium eating regime and I am feeling so much healthier for it.

Oh and guess what?! I went skating yesterday! For the first time in 37 years, I was skating.

Okay maybe skating is stretching it, but I did make it around the rink once and up and down one side about 6 times. Jay went around with me on the ice to help keep me up. My balance is shot and I have to work on strengthening my core.

By the way, many many thanks to my friend, Andrew, for loaning me some Extreme knee and elbow pads. He answered my prayer as I am terrified of falling on my knees. I have very bad knees as a result of a motorcycle accident in my twenties. Betcha never would have guessed that I used to ride a motorcycle did ya? ;)

1 comment:

kkaci said...

... so proud of you!!!!