Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Homemade Laundry Soap Day

I'm back to making my laundry soap again. Jay bought me a beautiful Whirlpool Duet front loading washer and dryer














a couple years ago and I have been buying that HE stuff ever since. THAT stuff is more expensive dagnabbit!

I'm tired of paying so much more for something that obviously has less of something else in it. Sort of like diet or low fat foods. They're always more expensive than their higher fat, higher calorie cousins.

Here's my recipe for homemade laundry soap (which is also HE since it doesn't suds up much). I've actually doubled my previous recipes active ingredients and kept the same amount of water creating a stronger mixture, thereby resulting in less being used per load.

1 quart Water (boiling) (4 cups)

2 cups Bar soap (grated) I use Lavender Ivory (2 bars)

2 cups Borax

2 cups Washing Soda

10 - 15 drops of essential oil for scent for every 2 quarts (optional)

1 large stock pot, enough to hold 10 quarts (40 cups)

  • Add finely grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted, turn down heat and stir in Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until all is dissolved.
  • Add 8 quarts of water, stir until well mixed.
  • You can either pour all of this, while warm into a big bucket with a lid and scoop out what you need or do what I do which is...
  • Let sit in pot overnight till cooled and gelled. Stir with hand blender until liquified and pour into empty laundry soap bottles or whatever size bottles you want.
  • Use 1/4 cup for each load of laundry. Shake or stir the soap each time you use it as it will gel up.
Some pics of the ingredients needed ...


















The hot mixture...

No comments: